Gordon MacFarland grew up in Ohio and competed in track and cross country at Lakewood High School. After college he moved to Colorado, where he discovered a love for road racing. He moved east in 1981 and has been a New Englander ever since. Gordon lives in Burlington, Vermont.
- National Strength and Conditioning Association – Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist (CSCS)
- American College of Sports Medicine Certified Personal Trainer (CPT) and Exercise is Medicine® Credential
- Enrolled in the University of Vermont Clinical and Translational Science Graduate Certificate program developing interventions to enhance gait in aging walkers and runners
- USA Track and Field Certified Coach – Level 1
- 2019 Racing – Age Division Results: 1st in Green Mountain Athletic Association Race Series (1M, 5K, 10K, 8M, 15K, 10M); 1st in Boston Athletic Association Distance Medley (5K, 10K, HM); Won four events (5K, 15K, 10M, HM) in USATF-New England Grand Prix Series.
- 2014 inductee into the Cambridge Sports Union Hall of Fame
- Former sales associate at Marathon Sports, Boston MA
- Master’s in Public Affairs, B.A. in psychology and graduate studies in food science and nutrition
- Member, Vermont Governor’s Council on Physical Fitness and Sports
- Founder of the Vermont City Marathon